Why I Will Not Divorce the Bible

Posted on by jbyas


When it comes to politics, one rising voice (a voice that usually sounds a lot like Ron Paul) is that Republicans & Democrats, though opposite on the surface, are often basically the same. When it comes to the Bible, I feel the same way about my Evangelical & Progressive brothers and sisters.*
On the one hand, my Evangelical brothers and sisters seem to make the Bible an idol, never questioning it, and more devastating, never questioning their own interpretation of it. I find that this leads to a shallow relationship with the Bible, never getting to know it intimately lest they see it in all its confusing nakedness. It is to remain at arms-length in case a closer look would force us to knock it off its idolatrous pedestal. . .

Read more at https://jbyas.com/2012/05/22/why-i-will-not-divorce-the-bible/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?