Theological Journal – January 7




Ruth Haley Barton’s Sacred Rhythms has some pertinent and helpful thoughts on a “Rule of Life” we might well consider before looking at some specifics.


“A rule of life seeks to respond to two questions: who do I want to be? How do I want to live? Actually it might be more accurate to say that a rule of life seeks to address the interplay between these two questions: How do I want to live so I can be who I want to be?” (147)


“Our rhythm of spiritual practices also needs to be ruthlessly realistic in view of our stage of life… If we do not take into account a realistic assessment of our stage of life we are doomed to fail.” (149)


“One of the great temptations of the spiritual life is to believe that if I were in another season of life, I could be more spiritual. The truth is that spiritual transformation takes place as we embrace the challenges and opportunities associated with each season of our life…” (149)


“The process of beginning to cultivate our own rhythm of spiritual practices begins with attending to our desire, noticing what words, phrases and prayers seem to most consistently capture our sense of longing for God.” (151)


We’ll take up the matter of our desires a bit more tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?