Theological Journal 2020

I will be posting what I'm calling a Theological Journal each day beginning today. It will contain very brief reflections or notes on living with God in daily life. I call it "theological" and not devotional or practical because I hope it reflects the best of "theology" - living life in the light of God's presence, purpose, and the practices of God's people. You can find it here each day or in your email if you want to leave me y0ur email address.
Today's entry is below.
Theological Journal 2020
January
1 Who or what gets the first and last word of my day? Myself? TV? Social Media? Children? Other? If you do not have a practice such as the Daily Office here’s a simple, stripped down practice to get you started. Let the first word of your day be “Good morning, Lord. How was your night? What do you want to say to me this morning? Thank you for being present with me today. Through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.” Speak each sentence then allow time for God to respond. As much as you feel appropriate. Follow this prayer with a reading from scripture. There are many good reading plans to choose from. Google “Bible reading plans” and you will find many to examine. Choose one and get started. Close with “I live this day from you and for you, O God. Be merciful to me a sinner.”
At the end of the day review your day asking yourself “Where/When/With Who did I feel closest to Christ today? Did I gain insight into what God had to say to me this morning? For whom do I need to pray this night? Offer intercessory prayers for them. Close with this: “Thank you, Father, for your faithfulness to me and to our world today. Keep me through the night and raise me up to a new day tomorrow or to eternal life in your presence. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”
Track whatever difference this practice makes in your awareness of God’s presence and activity in your life. When you feel a need for more you might check out some version of the Daily Office.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?