The War of Words on Abortion


I’m pro-life. But many people describe me based on what I’m against, not what I’m for.
By Charles C. Camosy

Mr. Camosy is a board member of Democrats for Life of America       
Jan. 9, 2019

The struggle in the abortion debate is, in many ways, a struggle over language.

For example, I am pro-life. I strongly support rights and protections for mothers and children, including prenatal children, and other vulnerable populations. I want to see the laws of this country protect these people as well. In my view, this makes me pro-life. That’s why I use the phrase “prenatal child” where other people would say “fetus.”

In the view of those people, and of mainstream news outlets, I am not pro-life; I am anti-abortion. This language allows critics to dismiss me and fellow pro-lifers as single-issue obsessives, which we are not.

In recent years abortion-rights supporters moved from using neutral language like “autonomy” and “choice” toward using positive, stigma-defying language. Groups like Planned Parenthood now speak about “abortion care.” Oprah profiled activists who urge people to #ShoutYourAbortion. Billboards erected by abortion-rights supporters proudly say that abortion is a “family value.”

Defying stigma is one thing. But the stakes of this debate are never higher than when we decide on language to describe the object of abortion.

Read more at https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/opinion/abortion-pro-life.html?fbclid=IwAR2opzVSbrFHUtwuiZActQFCzKLRBerssNN0IucHeZFU-j57s14qDRaD6DM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?