The Political Theology of Les Misérables


Richard Beck 

Jana and I are huge fans of the musical Les Misérables, so we've been living the dream lately. We got to see the show onstage again in November while at AAR/SBL in Chicago. Then the movie came out on Christmas Day. And we just found out that, after 20 years of trying, ACU has finally secured the permission to do Les Misérables for our 2013 homecoming musical.

Again, Jana and I are hardcore fans. She and I can sing every line and every part (male and female) of the musical soundtrack. I find the musical to be a profoundly spiritual, and distinctively Christian, experience. (Same goes for the book, which I read in college.)

Thinking the other day about the musical I had these thoughts about the political theology depicted in Les Misérables.
I'm interested here in the contrast been Jean Valjean, Javert, and Enjolras (along with Marius and the other student-revolutionaries at the barricade). . .

read more at:https://experimentaltheology.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-political-theology-of-les-miserables.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR10z1shWxFnK3AKWLGgRzdtIXPPmA8AYzf2dGUo2iFbhT_4GGc_V4Hb1YA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?