Presented at NEXT Church 2013
By Steve Eason, Pastor, Myers Park Presbyterian Church
Someone once said, “When a horse dies, it’s an excellent time to dismount!” (Anonymous). We (the Church) are prone to stay on our dead horses.
Alternatives to Dismounting a Dead Horse
• Buy a stronger whip. (Just beat it harder. You’re bound to get some more life out of it!)
• Appoint a task-‐‑force to study the dead horse.
• Put a memorial plaque on it. (That’ll keep it around.)
• Name it something different.
• Rotate riders...on a dead horse!
• Call a pastor who is a “Horse Resurrector!”
• Buy cases of air freshener. Just cover it up.
• Ignore it.
What are the top ten dead horses in the Church (or our church) today?