Theological Journal – February 20 What Does Joy Have to do With it? (2)




Joy in the Bible


One scholar offers this summary of joy in the Old Testament:


“In the Old Testament, joy is most frequently mentioned in the Psalms. The Psalmists often exhorted worshippers to shout for joy, dance for joy, and sing for joy before God — in God’s Presence. While there is a place for silence and solemnity before God, from the scriptures it appears that God wants his people to be joyful in his Presence and offer exuberant (and sincere) praise to him. King David delighted in God’s Presence, and he wrote that in God’s presence there is fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11; 21:6; cf .Acts 2:28)

God also wanted his people to be joyful before him when they were celebrating certain appointed festivals, such as the Feast of Weeks (Pentecost) and the Feast of Booths (Tabernacles) (Deut. 16:11 & 14). Joy is a godly attribute.”



At the same time profound darkness and depression is an all too regular part of human life as well. Just read Psa.88 or the book of Lamentations for instance. So my question again, how does the joy God is and exudes and gives to us as a gift mark a life so often assaulted by darkness and depression, and threatened by death (Ecclesiastes)?



The words “joy” and “rejoice” themselves are not widely used words today. They’re mostly “churchy” words. And they don’t connect well with our (or at least my) daily experience. I guess that’s what I’m wrestling with here. If Barth is correct (last post), and I believe he is, I need to find the interface between joy and daily life that I believe must exist. I haven’t yet found it and at 67 I don’t think its too soon to do so!



It’s no better in the New Testament, really. Just two examples:



-Heb.12:2: “looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.



-James 1:2-4: “My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing.



I’m not there yet on the “consider it nothing but joy” when facing “trials” for Christ’s sake, I admit it. Or I just don’t get it yet. I hope it’s the latter. Nor am I really on track with the suffering for the joy to come. I understand that, I think. But I’m wanting to discover joy in the midst of suffering and trials, what James seems to be talking about. At any rate, that’s the journey I’m on in this series of posts. I suspect some of you are with me on it too.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?