The Dones, Rob Bell, and the Future of Progressive (and Evangelical) Christianity

 

Photo: Brett Thatcher, Creative Commons 4.0 via #InstaBLAM
Photo: Brett Thatcher, Creative Commons 4.0 via #InstaBLAM
 
A few days ago I wrote a piece on my personal blog about “Graduating.”
It was partly a reflection on the story of Rob Bell and how it resonates with my own. It was also about the “Dones” and “post-church” category and how I identify not with the category itself, but with certain elements of the category even as I carve out my own path ahead.

I am “done” – with evangelical church as usual. I’m done with any ministry obligation to that category and identity. I can’t do it anymore, and neither can my family.
 
In that sense, I am graduating.
 
That said, there is a flip side to the equation, and one that makes this promotion an emotional and spiritual move up rather than merely an ideological move left. Really, I find myself just as disinterested in being a good progressive as I am in being a good evangelical. This is a moving forward in that strange lane sometimes called the messy middle.
 
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/zhoag/2015/07/31/the-dones-rob-bell-and-the-future-of-progressive-christianity/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?