Browsing the internet convinces me now more than ever that the church is narcissistic. Not all churches, but the church in general.
So I imagined this cartoon.
Let’s compare the church with a person. What symptoms does a narcissist display?
- They have a grandiose sense of self-importance.
- They are preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success.
- They believe that they are special or unique.
- They require constant admiration.
- They have a very strong sense of entitlement.
- They exploit others and don’t respect boundaries.
- They lack empathy.
- They are envious of others or think others are envious of them.
- They regularly display arrogant attitudes and behaviors.
- They react to criticism or contrary viewpoints with condescension and anger.
The treatment for narcissism is always described as long term because often the root of narcissism is a severe lack of self-worth that lie in serious difficulties with the person’s pathological development.
It requires the patient to:
- Admit they are narcissistic.
- Seek professional help.
- Commit to the long-term for healing.
What steps can the church take?I think it needs to begin with local leadership and percolate throughout the rest of the local community.
What are your thoughts?